NDIS COVID-19 Update for South Australia
Minister for the National Disability Insurance Scheme, Stuart Robert, has issued a media release on 19 November 2020 confirming NDIS participants in South Australia have access to a range of temporary measures to ensure they can receive their disability-related supports, in line with public health advice.
In addition, with a focus on the safety of NDIS participants during the COVID-19 restrictions period in South Australia, the NDIA is reaching out to connect and check-in with vulnerable participants, to ensure they continue to have supports in place and offering phone or online planning meetings during lockdown.
Minister Robert said the government recognises that the immediate restrictions are difficult for NDIS participants and it is our priority to ensure they receive the essential supports they require.
To assist with continuation of essential supports in a COVIDSafe manner, NDIS participants and providers in South Australia will temporarily be able to directly claim the costs of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including face masks.
Temporary measures in place to assist participants in South Australia, in light of the changing circumstances, include:
- eligible NDIS participants able to use plan funding to purchase low-cost Assistive Technology, including smart devices (up to $1500);
- greater plan flexibility to ensure access to supports;
- deep cleaning of residences in the event a support worker returns a positive COVID-19 test;
- additional support, including a deep cleaning service, for participants who test positive for COVID-19 or who are required to isolate who live in a Supported Independent Living (SIL) setting;
- NDIS participants in South Australia who rely on face-to-face supports and assistance with their daily living will be able to use an existing support item (Low Cost Disability-Related Health Consumables) to claim on the cost of PPE for their own use at times their worker is with them; and
- Providers in South Australia able to claim an allowance of $1.70 per hour of support delivered in the Activities of Daily Life Support Category, to cover the cost of PPE for workers, directly from the NDIA, ensuring participant plan funds are not impacted by the use of PPE by their providers and workers.
As the pandemic evolves, the NDIA and the Government will continue to review the temporary measures to ensure the health and wellbeing of participants.
‘The Commonwealth has a clear plan and will continue to respond to changing circumstances across the entire country to ensure all NDIS participants are supported and are safe during the pandemic,’ Mr Robert said.
'In March, as the threat of COVID-19 emerged, the Government outlined a number of temporary measures to ensure every NDIS participant could continue to receive the everyday supports and services they need.
Temporary measures, with the exception of direct claim of PPE, were announced earlier this year and are in place nationally until February 2021.
If you have any questions in relation to COVID-19 and your NDIS Plan, please contact Blitzit Plan Manager on 1300 966 119 or email@example.com and we will assist you.
Through the Participant Service Improvement Plan 2020-21, NDIS committed to making plans longer after Participants feedback showed they wanted more flexibility in plans and certainty in supports.
During the 2019 Review of the National Disability Insurance Scheme Act 2013 (the Tune Review), participants told NDIS they wanted longer plans and fewer reviews.
We previously talked about the perils overspending may pose to your NDIS plan, but what many may not understand is that underspending can also present potential problems down the line.
Now that you have your NDIS funding, it’s time to spend and track it.
In the Australian Government’s effort to provide everyone with access to safe and effective vaccines against COVID-19, an initial roll-out of vaccinations began in late February.
Goals are the things you want to achieve with support from the NDIS and other supports and services. Setting goals will help you stay focused. Achieving short-term goals creates milestones towards your long-term goals, which may require more planning and time to accomplish.